A critical Guide: Jazz
Sunday 05 December 1993
Mari Wilson (Ronnie Scott's, W1, 071-439 0747, Mon to Sat). Once a pop star, now a Frith Street regular, Ms Wilson mixes Broadway ballads with sophisticated soul.
Ruby Turner (Jazz Cafe, NW1, 071-916 6000, Fri & Sat). A real soul singer.
London Jazz Orchestra (Vortex, N16, 071- 254 6516, Mon). Scott Stroman's big band features such fine soloists as the trumpeters Henry Lowther and Ian Carr and the saxophonists Pete Hurt and Stan Sulzman.
Toumani Diabate / Balake Sissoko / Danny Thompson (Union Chapel, N1, 081-341 4421, tonight; The Hub, Bath, 0225 446288, Tues). Two kora-players from Mali are joined by the wonderful English double-bassist in a promising fusion.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'