A critical Guide: Opera
Sunday 05 December 1993
L'Incoronazione di Poppea (QEH, Wed & Fri). John Eliot Gardiner conducts a choice cast (Sylvia McNair, Anne-Sofie von Otter) in concert performances of Monteverdi's opera that will be recorded, live, by DG.
The Trojans (Barbican, 071-638 8891, Wed & Thurs). The continuing run of Berlioz's epic masterpiece, done in concert by the LSO under Colin Davis with Parts I and II spread across two nights. Alternatively, you can hear it in a single, marathon sitting next Sunday afternoon and evening, which is the final performance.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture