Andy Gill on albums: Red Kross - Show World Island 524275-2
Obsession helps too, and Redd Kross have that by the truckload. Titles like "One Chord Progression" and "Teen Competition" give some indication of how resolutely they stick to the hermetic world of pop culture. And as the Beatle-esque little burst of sped-up backwards tape in "Get Out of Myself" suggests, even their "experiments" are pre-digested. It could be tiresome, were their enthusiasm not matched by a genuine gift for pop hooks and a sense of history: if there's a better evocation than Redd Kross's "Mess Around" of that moment when Jim McGuinn first heard The Searchers and invented folk-rock, I've yet to hear it.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God