Thursday 11 February 1999
Deaths: Joanna II, Queen of Naples, 1435; Elizabeth of York, Henry VII's queen, 1503; Sir John Buchan, first Baron Tweedsmuir, governor-general of Canada, and novelist, 1940; Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein, film director, 1948; Sylvia Plath, poet, 1963.
On this day: the Miracle of Lourdes occurred, when St Bernadette had her vision of the Virgin Mary, 1858; the first weekly weather report was issued by the Meteorological Office, 1878; the Lateran Treaty established an independent Vatican State in Rome, covering 108 acres, 1929; Margaret Thatcher became the first woman leader of a British political party, 1975; in South Africa, Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years, 1990; the Queen agreed to pay tax on her private income, 1993.
Today is the Feast Day of St Benedict of Aniane, St Caedmon, St Gregory II, Pope, St Lazarus of Milan, St Lucius of Adrianople, St Pascal I, Pope, Saints Saturninus, Dativus, and Others and St Severinus of Agaunum.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter