Thursday 04 March 1999
Births: Sir Henry Raeburn, portrait painter, 1756; Thomas Sturge Moore, poet and wood-engraver, 1870.
Deaths: Sir Thomas Malory, writer of Morte d'Arthur, 1470; Nikolai Vasilyevich Gogol, playwright and novelist, 1852; Antonin Artaud, actor, playwright and stage director, 1948; Sir Charles Scott Sherrington, neurologist, 1952; William Carlos Williams, physician and poet, 1963; Richard Thomas Church, poet and novelist, 1972.
On this day: Pennsylvania was granted by charter to William Penn, 1681; the Royal National Lifeboat Institution was founded, 1824; the Forth Bridge was officially opened, 1890; the Comintern (Communist International) was formed, 1919; British commandos raided the (German-occupied) Lofoten Islands off Norway, 1941; German radio declared that Dresden had been "wiped off the map of Europe" by Allied bombing, 1945; North Sea gas was first piped ashore near Durham, 1967; Edward Heath resigned and Harold Wilson became prime minister, forming a Labour government, 1974.
Today is the Feast Day of St Adrian and his Companions, St Casimir of Poland and St Peter of Cava.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >