Tuesday 11 May 1999
Births: Reginald Pole, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1500; the original Siamese twins (of Chinese parentage), Chang and Eng, 1811; Irving Berlin (Israel Isadore Baline), 1888; Paul Nash, painter, 1889; Dame Margaret Rutherford, actress, 1892; Mikhail Alexandrovich Sholokhov, novelist, 1905.
Deaths: Sir Edward Dyer, poet, buried 1607; William Pitt, first Earl of Chatham, statesman, 1778; Spencer Perceval, prime minister, assassinated in the House of Commons by John Bellingham 1812; Sir John Frederick Herschel, astronomer, 1871; Frederic William Goudy, typographer and printer, 1947; Barbara Hutton, heiress, 1979; Harold Adrian Russell "Kim" Philby, Soviet spy, 1988.
On this day: Constantinople was dedicated as the new capital of the Roman Empire, 330; Siam changed its name to Thailand, 1949; the Daily Sketch newspaper appeared for the last time, 1971; the musical show Cats was first produced, London 1981.
Today is the Feast Day of St Ansfrid, St Asaph, St Comgall, St Francis di Girolamo, St Gengulf or Gengoul, St Ignatius of Laconi, St Mayeul or Majolus, St Mamertus, St Richard Reynolds, St Tudy or Tudec of Brittany and St Walter of L'Esterp.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture