Thursday 24 September 1998
Deaths: William Lawes, composer, 1645; Henry, first Viscount Hardinge of Lahore, Governor General of India, 1856; Melanie Klein (Reizes), child psychoanalyst, 1960; Mtys Seiber, composer, 1960; Dame Isobel Baillie, oratorio singer, 1983.
On this day: the St Leger horse race was run for the first time, 1776; Sir James Brooke was appointed Rajah of Sarawak, 1841; fMarks and Spencer opened their first "Penny Bazaar" at Cheetham, Manchester, 1894; the French bombed the Krupps Works at Essen, 1916; the industrial estate at Harlow New Town was opened, 1951; the USS Enterprise, the first nuclear- powered aircraft- carrier, was launched at Newport, Virginia, 1960.
Today is the Feast Day of St Gerard Sagredo of Csanad, St Geremarus or Germer, St Pacificus of San Severino and St Robert Flower of Knaresborough.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Grace Dent on TV: Imagine – Who’s Afraid of Machiavelli?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >