Developers to appeal council decision to reject 'fake Downton Abbey' in north London
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Monday 18 August 2014
Developers are to fight the local council’s decision to reject their plans to demolish a 140-year-old London villa and build a “fake Downton Abbey” with the belief that bulldozing the site will likely go ahead next year.
Adam Architecture, the practice set up by one of Prince Charles' favourite architects, submitted a modified application on behalf of its mystery client to demolish Athlone House in Hampstead late last year after the initial plans were rejected in 2010.
Camden Council again rejected the proposals to replace the house with a classical-style mansion again earlier this month, based on concerns over the size of the new building.
Robert Adam, the architect on the project, said the landowners had appealed the decision. “We believe we have a robust case,” he said. “People get fired up about old buildings, but this was never of sufficient quality to get listed. Things move on.”
Video: Downton Abbey series 5 preview
The planning application was not blocked because of the proposals to demolish the existing site and Mr Adam believes that is a “done deal”.
Should the decision be overturned when the appeal is heard in February, construction on the site could start before the end of next year.
Locals have been fighting for 10 years to save the historic house, built in 1872, from the mystery developer, who is believed to be a billionaire Kuwaiti businessman.
Camden Council rejected the latest proposals earlier this month after more than 5,000 people officially objected, including Monty Python star and local resident Terry Gilliam and architect Sir David Chipperfield, who said demolishing the house would be “a betrayal” of local residents.
Campaigners claim an agreement had been struck that the developers who bought the site could build flats on its grounds if the main house was restored.
After Adam Architecture had submitted the new plans, the Highgate Society wrote a letter saying that visitors to the building in Hampstead Heath had expressed “almost universal outrage at the proposals” and English Heritage also urged the council to block the redevelopment.
The new plans are for a classical eight-bedroom mansion with an indoor swimming pool. Some have complained about the design, calling it a “fake Downton Abbey” a reference to Highclere Castle used as a primary location for the hit ITV show.
Mr Adam said: “I’m seen as something of a traditional architect, so I take it as a compliment. If this is a similar standard to Highclere I would be very proud.”
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures