Jay Merrick: A meeting of minds, a monumental vision
Thursday 01 April 2010
The Orbit Tower reflects a meeting of two of the boldest minds in British art. Anish Kapoor's ability to create conceptually astonishing works is proven. Cecil Balmond's role is less well known, but he is the genie whose geometrical alchemy has influenced projects as diverse as Kapoor's 2002 Marsyas installation in Tate Modern, Daniel Libeskind's V&A Spiral, and Toyo Ito's Serpentine Gallery Pavilion.
Balmond, vice-president of the engineers Arup, is a cultural polymath who in a few minutes' conversation will connect algorithms, Schumann Quartets, obscure Tanzanian guitar bands, and the motility of malignant cells. Kapoor and Balmond explored the idea of tangled orbits, modelling shapes in wax and rendering them structural via computer programs developed by Arup's "Advanced Geometry Unit".
Kapoor describes the structure as having medieval, Tower of Babel-like qualities. Balmond talks about two orbiting spheres morphing into a twisted rope, some of whose strands break free from the overall form. The tower will meet the ground at three points. Though its asymmetry suggests structural risk, its weight, and play of bending and thrusting forces, will be precisely balanced.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world