Observations: The highlights of the East End, as seen from the saddle
If you happen to be a late-night reveller in east London tonight, you may come across an unusual sight: a bunch of cyclists taking part in Velonotte, a guided 16-mile ride that kicks off near Spitalfields at midnight and ends with a musical picnic at dawn in the Docklands.
Organised by the Moscow-based architectural historian Sergey Nikitin, it takes in everything from David Adjaye's Ideas Store in Poplar to the newly built Olympic Park.
Nikitin is keen to emphasise that the event is not a race. It is a gentle cycle back through time via 10 stories about different episodes of history, narrated by guides including architects Adjaye and Peter Murray and novelist Peter Ackroyd, either in person or through headsets.
Nikitin, who has already organised similar events in Moscow and Rome, says: "It's about good company and learning a little east London history at the same time."
To register: velonotte.org
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.