One third of the 52 buildings longlisted by the Royal Institute of British Architects for this year’s coveted Stirling prize are schools, nurseries, universities and other educational facilities.
It is the first year the list has been so dominated by education, something RIBA president Angela Brady puts down to the “recessionary times” deterring risk-takers within commercial construction fields.
Of the 43 British and nine EU-based structures longlisted, six will shortlisted for the Stirling prize next month. Each building on the longlist counts as a RIBA National Award winner.
Among the innovative educational buildings chosen are an open-plan primary school in Hartlepool, Montpelier Community Nursery in London, Kingswood Academy in Kingston upon Hull (designed to include bullying-deterring toilets) and the West Wing of the Said Business School, Oxford.
Brady hailed the selection of “really exceptional schools and education buildings” describing them as places which properly invest in the future for their pupils. “There may not too many award-winning schools to come for some time,” Brady warned.
The RIBA president also celebrated the inclusion of “some of the best housing winners for some time”. These include the redevelopment of the Brutalist Grade II listed 1960s Park Hill estate in Sheffield and the Newhall Be suburban development in Harlow.
This year’s winners range from the UK’s northernmost arts centre in the Shetlands down to Redruth in Cornwall. Good commercial examples include the yellow-roofed Ferrari Museum in Italy, supermarket Marks & Spencers’ green flagship store in Cheshire and the National Trust’s new visitor’s centre at the Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland.
The 242 hectare Olympic masterplan is one of the biggest projects shortlisted this year. While the tiniest is a small contemporary house built in the ruins of the 12 century Astley Castle in Warwickshire.
The 43 UK buildings that have won an RIBA National Award are:
1. The Chapel of Saint Albert the Great, Edinburgh by Simpson and Brown
2. Forth Valley College of Further & Higher Education, Stirling by Reiach and Hall Architects
3. Mareel, Lerwick Shetland by Gareth Hoskins Architects with PJP Architects
4. University of Aberdeen New Library/Sir Duncan Rice Library by Schmidt
5. 4 Linsiander , Vig, Lewis by Studio KAP Architects
6. Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre by Heneghan Peng
7. The MAC, Belfast by Hackett Hall McKnight
8. Jesmond Gardens Primary School, Hartlepool, Cleveland, TS24 by ADP
9. Chetham's Music School, Manchester, M3 by Stephenson: ISA Studio
10. M&S Cheshire Oaks by Aukett Fitzroy Robinson
11. MMU Business School by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studio
12. St Silas CofE Primary School, Blackburn by Capita Symonds
13. Park Hill, Sheffield by Hawkins/Brown and Studio Egret West
14. SOAR Works, Parson Cross, Sheffield by 00:/
15. Kingswood Academy, Bransholme, Kingston upon Hull by AHMM
16. Astley Castle, Nuneaton, Warwickshire by Witherford Watson Mann
17. Eastside City Park, Birmingham by Patel Taylor
18. St Alban's Academy, Birmingham by dRMM
19. The Hive, Worcester by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
20. Bramall Music Building, University of Birmingham by Glenn Howells Architects
21. Crowbrook, Ware, Hertfordshire by Knox Bhavan Architects
22. Newhall Be, Harlow, Essex by Alison Brooks Architects
SOUTH WEST / WESSEX
23. Chedworth Roman Villa, Yanworth, Gloucestershire by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
24. The Forum, University of Exeter by Wilkinson Eyre
25. Heartlands, Redruth by Stride Treglown
26. Chapel at Cuddesdon by Niall Maclaughlin
27. West Wing, Said Business School, Oxford by Dixon Jones
28. Stowe Gardens Visitor Centre, Buckingham by Cowper Griffith
29. Jerwood Gallery, Hastings by HAT Projects
30. Colyer-Fergusson Building, University of Kent, Canterbury by Tim Ronalds Architects
31. Akerman Health Centre, by Henley Halebrown Rorrison
32. Hayes Primary School, LB Croydon by Hayhurst and Co
33. Slip House by Carl Turner
34. Beveridge Mews, Stepney Green Estate, Hannibal Road, E1 by Peter Barber
35. Ironmonger Row Baths, Norman Street, London, EC1 by Tim Ronalds
36. Olympic Energy Centre, King's Yard, Olympic Park, E9 by John McAslan
37. Olympic Masterplan, E20 by Allies and Morrison
38. Lauriston School, Rutland Road, E9 by Meadowcroft Griffin/MLA
39. Church Walk, N16 by David Mikhail
40. Montpelier Community Nursery, Brecknock Road, N19 by AYA
41. North London Hospice, Barrowell Green, N21 by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
42. UCH Cancer Care Centre, WC1 Hopkins Architects by Hopkins
43. Quadrant 3, Air Street, W1 by Dixon Jones with Donald Insall Associates
The 9 RIBA Award buildings in the European Union are:
1. Frederiksberg Courthouse, Copenhagen, Denmark by 3XN
2. Sorø Art Museum, Denmark by Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects
3. Pierresvives, Montpellier, France by Zaha Hadid Architects
4. MBA Building, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Paris, France by David Chipperfield Architects
5. House on Mount Anville, Dublin, Ireland by Aughey O'Flaherty Architects
6. University of Limerick Medical School and Pergola Bus Shelter, Ireland by Grafton Architects
7. Enzo Ferrari Museum, Modena, Italy by Shiro Studio
8. Hoflaan House, Rotterdam, Netherlands by Maccreanor Lavington
9. Municipal Auditorium of Teulada, Alicante, Spain by Francisco Mangado y Asociados