Shard now UK's tallest building
Wednesday 24 November 2010
Britain has a new tallest building after the Shard, currently under construction near London Bridge, yesterday outgrew the previous holder, Canary Wharf Tower in Docklands, which stands at 235m (771ft).
When it is completed in 2012, the Shard, designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano, will also become the tallest in the EU at 310m. However, it still does not come close to matching the world's tallest building: the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which is 828m high.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'