Art; PRIVATE VIEW
The Wilkie Tradition to 24 Dec Bourne Fine Art, Edinburgh
Saturday 11 December 1999
The theme of "The Wilkie Tradition" is not really the man himself, but his Scottish contemporaries: mostly minor artists who shared his themes, but each with a flavour of their own. It makes for a sort of visual history lesson: a glimpse into the darkened, domestic interiors of early 19th-century Scotland. Like most genre paintings they work best on a small scale: their low key intimism well-suited to their subject.
Wilkie himself steals the show, particularly in two small panels: The Sluice Gate, a quietly intense little landscape, and Domestic Life, a rather grander interior than most, complete with an ermine-clad figure looking a little like the young Queen Victoria. Well worth a look.
Bourne Fine Art, 6 Dundas Street, Edinburgh (0131-557 4050) to 24 Dec
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Jay Z fights lawsuit over use of oh in 'Run This Town'
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'