Art; PRIVATE VIEW
The Wilkie Tradition to 24 Dec Bourne Fine Art, Edinburgh
Saturday 11 December 1999
The theme of "The Wilkie Tradition" is not really the man himself, but his Scottish contemporaries: mostly minor artists who shared his themes, but each with a flavour of their own. It makes for a sort of visual history lesson: a glimpse into the darkened, domestic interiors of early 19th-century Scotland. Like most genre paintings they work best on a small scale: their low key intimism well-suited to their subject.
Wilkie himself steals the show, particularly in two small panels: The Sluice Gate, a quietly intense little landscape, and Domestic Life, a rather grander interior than most, complete with an ermine-clad figure looking a little like the young Queen Victoria. Well worth a look.
Bourne Fine Art, 6 Dundas Street, Edinburgh (0131-557 4050) to 24 Dec
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes