Ethan Coen, Woody Allen and Elaine May to debut plays on Broadway
Monday 23 May 2011
New York City's Broadway theater area will debut three one-act comedies written by film directors/writers Ethan Coen of the Coen brothers, Elaine May (
The Birdcage) and Woody Allen. Together the plays will be titled
The trio of short plays include Allen's Honeymoon Motel, May's George is Dead and Coen's Talking Cure.
Allen wrote a number of plays, including Play it Again, Sam, which made it to film.
May worked with film director Mike Nichols on Broadway and her plays include Adaptation, Next, Death Defying Acts, Power Plays and After the Night and the Music.
The production brings Coen to Broadway. His previous one-acts, Almost an Evening and Offices, were hits Off Broadway.
Actor John Turturro makes his debut as director of the production. He has starred in Coen brothers' films including Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski and O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Relatively Speaking is scheduled for previews in September for an October opening.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments