Album review: Edwyn Collins, Understated (AED)
Understated is that rarity, a positive break-up album confirming an emotional rebirth: “Back to life, back to hope... I can't stay another day with you,” he exults in “Too Bad (That's Sad)”, one of a clutch of Motown stompers.
The more painful aspects get the Southern soul treatment in “Baby Jean”, where he counts the blessings of music in helping ease the torment. “Understated” is a quieter reflection. But it's ironic that soul music dominates, given Collins' lack of its most crucial element: a commanding vocal presence.
Download: Too Bad (That's Sad); It's a Reason; Forsooth
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >