Cultural life: Hattie Morahan, actress
'I love the virtuosity and imaginative chutzpah of Da Vinci's Demons'
Friday 19 July 2013
The most thrilling show I've seen recently was Helena Kaut-Howson's production of Sons Without Fathers at the Arcola. It was joyous and messy and very, very funny – I was buzzing at the interval and gobsmacked by the end. Also, Chimerica rendered me a blubbing mess – a very clever play that has stayed with me since, and great news that it's transferring to the West End.
I love the virtuosity and imaginative chutzpah of Da Vinci's Demons, and not just because my boyfriend is in it! And I remain enthralled by Mad Men and its disconcertingly elegant moral ambivalence. It invites you to make your own judgements, and its scope feels akin to a great novel. Addictive stuff.
I felt really inspired – if exhausted – by the David Bowie exhibition at the V&A. The dialogue he explored between the different mediums felt genuinely revolutionary, and I loved plotting how he's incorporated his multiple influences into his work.
I'm halfway through Patti Smith's memoir Just Kids, which is heart-stoppingly vivid. It drips with beauty and hope and devastating candour. I don't want it to end.
'A Doll's House', Duke of York's Theatre, London WC2 (www.adollshouselondon.com) 8 August to 26 October
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland