Cultural life: Jared Leto, actor and musician
Friday 17 May 2013
I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately. I really liked Restrepo – it's very powerful and immediate and it takes you right into the battle of the Afghanistan war in a way I hadn't previously experienced.
The soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ by Peter Gabriel: it's ethereal and evocative, simple and beautiful.
Punchdrunk's Sleep No More was interesting because it was interactive. It normally wouldn't be at the top of my list of things to see, but I liked that it was breaking with convention.
I read a book about the history of antibiotics in the Thirties called The Demon Under the Microscope by Thomas Hager. I was battling out a cold when I happened to stumble upon it. I think so many of us take for granted the ability to get well quickly and easily.
I collect art. Dan Colen's work combines irreverence and simplicity in a way that's both jarring and playful. Damien Hirst did the cover of our new album. I'm also a fan of Jonathan Yeo's work.
Thirty Seconds to Mars' album 'LOVE LUST FAITH + DREAMS', is out on Monday. They play Download, Donington Park, Leicestershire on 16 June (www.downloadfestival.co.uk)
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians