Gilbert & George: Urethra Postcard Art
Thursday 13 January 2011
Britart double act Gilbert & George are famed for using unorthodox materials (bodily fluids) and controversial subject matter (mainly sex) in their work. So it is unsurprising that although their latest exhibition - a collection of artworks made from postcards sourced from British souvenir shops- looks harmless enough, the series is actually based on "an angulated sign of the urethra".
Each artwork is continuous rectangle of cards with another card in the middle. Although to the untrained eye it looks just like a rectangle of postcards with a card in the middle, it is actually an approximation of the organ which carries urine out of female bodies and semen out of men’s.
The couple apparently based the urethra series on the sexual symbol used by the theosophist C. W Leadbetter to accompany his signature. The collection is comprised of 564 pieces and is the single largest group of art works the pair have ever made.
The Urethra Postcard Art of Gilbert & George is at the White Cube Mason’s Yard from tomorrow until 19 February 2011
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Bob Dylan's 'going electric' guitar from Newport Folk Festival sells for nearly $1m
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >