Justin de Villeneuve photographs: Faces of the Sixties
Wednesday 16 May 2012
Photographer Justin de Villeneuve is best known for having launched the career of iconic supermodel Twiggy. An exhibition of his work opening at Proud Galleries tomorrow includes some of the best examples from his portfolio and is an album of faces of the Sixties.
Born Nigel Jonathan Davies and taking the name of Christian St Forget during his hairdressing apprenticeship with Vidal Sassoon, Justin de Villeneuve created his lasting alias after a chance meeting with a then fifteen year old Twiggy. De Villeneuve became Twiggy’s manager and the pair started a romantic relationship: so began Justin de Villeneuve’s career as a photographer.
Proud Chelsea will exhibit intimate black and white fashion portraits with Twiggy, photo shoots with Pattie Boyd for Italian Vogue, sittings with David Bowie for his infamous Pin-Ups album cover and stills of Marsha Hunt, poster girl for the musical Hair.
Faces of the Sixties: Photographs by Justin de Villeneuve, 17 May to 8 July, www.proud.co.uk
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories