Portfolio: Edward Burtynsky
Oil on troubled waters
Sunday 15 May 2011
A lone ship is dwarfed by a tumultuous seascape: it's an enduring image of man's powerlessness in the face of nature. Yet, in this shot from the Canadian photographer Edward Burtynsky, the tumult is entirely of man's own making: taken in the aftermath of the oil spill at BP's Deepwater Horizon rig in the Gulf of Mexico, it shows a tanker in the disaster's "epicentre", navigating through the slick that streaked the water's surface. "There was a gothic foreboding in [the sheen's] patterns," says Burtynsky. "It's like a Frankenstein story, where the beast escapes the lab."
His images from the spill are the latest product of his ongoing exploration of our addictive relationship with the black stuff, which has taken him from refineries to superhighways. Shot from a seaplane, they offer a vast, omniscient perspective on the catastrophe. "It reflects [our] dilemma," he says: "Nobody wants to give up their vacation or car, but we're now waking up to the consequences."
Images from Burtynsky's project are at the Look 11 Liverpool International Photography Festival ( look2011.co.uk) until 26 June
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture