Roger That: phonetic alphabet in pictures
Wednesday 23 March 2011
The visual interpretation of the alphabet should be simple enough. What better way to visualise the letter 'a' than by thinking typographically, after all. But three design studios have decided to reinvent the alphabetical wheel by imagining what written letters would look like based on their phonetic versions: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and so on.
The phonetic system, which was developed in 1932 to ensure clarity of communication over radio for the aviation industry, is rather whimsical if you consider it properly. Words like Zulu, Foxtrot, Tango and Yankee are deliciously archaic and do indeed evoke a more pictorial idea of the letters they represent.
Designs by boutique studios Eat Sleep Work/Play, Inventory Studio and Julia will be exhibited at the Kemistry Gallery in London this week. The 26 posters which take you through the entire alphabet were previously exhibited at the Rocket Gallery in Tokyo as part of UK OK!, but have been specially reprinted in for the UK show.
Click on the image for a picture preview
'Roger That The Phonetic Spelling Alphabet' is at the Kemistry Gallery, London 24t March until16 April 2011
Arts & Ents blogs
The Full Monty to close in West End after one month despite Olivier nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past role cut to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli on why she wants more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers