The Playlist: The National/ Action Bronson/ Hooded Fang
Fourteen years into their career and The National still find new ways to express the mysterious world of a man's private, neurotic thoughts.
Action Bronson ft. Lauriana Mae
Compliments 2 the Chef
Yet another excellent collaboration between the Albanian/American rapper and producer Harry Fraud. This time the rap attack features Mae's mesmerising hooks.
From the opening line on being covered in human ashes, the song's dark lyrics clash with its upbeat pop melodies.
Empress Of Tristeza
Deliciously awkward art-pop from the Spaniard's brand new EP (pictured).
Landscapes in The Mist
Vocals take a backseat on DB's new material – a bleak, haunting and cinematic take on no wave.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement