Unseen photographs of Marilyn Monroe
Monday 27 September 2010
Previously unseen images of Marilyn Monroe have been published in a new book, Marilyn: August 1953: The Lost LOOK Photos, which comes out this week.
The pictures were taken over several days when a sprained ankle prevented the Hollywood icon from filming 'River of No Return' with Robert Mitchum in Alberta, Canada in the summer of 1953.
Photographer John Vachon took over 100 shots for a feature in LOOK magazine but only three were published in October of that year.
The digitally restored black and white images include some candid shots of the sex symbol, including one with her then fiancé and baseball star Joe DiMaggio and another of her posing comically with a stuffed grizzly bear.
Here is a selection of rare images of Marilyn Monroe.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women