Unseen photographs of Marilyn Monroe
Monday 27 September 2010
Previously unseen images of Marilyn Monroe have been published in a new book, Marilyn: August 1953: The Lost LOOK Photos, which comes out this week.
The pictures were taken over several days when a sprained ankle prevented the Hollywood icon from filming 'River of No Return' with Robert Mitchum in Alberta, Canada in the summer of 1953.
Photographer John Vachon took over 100 shots for a feature in LOOK magazine but only three were published in October of that year.
The digitally restored black and white images include some candid shots of the sex symbol, including one with her then fiancé and baseball star Joe DiMaggio and another of her posing comically with a stuffed grizzly bear.
Here is a selection of rare images of Marilyn Monroe.
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP