World Bodypainting Festival attracts 30,000 visitors
It's a good thing the World Bodypainting Festival isn't held in Britain, or else some of the elaborate creations being showcased over the weekend might have ended up rather streaky from the rain.
Instead the 15th such annual get-together of scantily-clad, body art enthusiasts took place at the Austrian town of Poertschach this weekend - and the sun shone.
An estimated 30,000 visitors came to see men and women smeared with multi-coloured pigments.
The 200 artists from 44 countries were all vying to be crowned winner and take home the prestigious World Award.
There were Avatar-style creatures in blue, devilish horns, huge headdresses, false noses and futuristic masks.
One woman had eyes peeping out from her legs; another had mathematical equations all over her body; there was even a helmet covered in Barbie dolls.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Tears and cheers as David Beckham ends glittering career after helping PSG to final win
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with newspapers over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.