Bob Willoughby: The Silver Age of Hollywood
Life magazine photographer and Hollywood portraitist Bob Willoughby is widely believed to have invented the photojournalistic motion picture still.
He captured an off-duty Liz Taylor (above) on the set of Raintree Country, trained his lens on a pensive, solemn-looking Marilyn Monroe and immortalised a lively discussion between Vincent Minelle and Gene Kelly on the set of Brigadoon.
The first external photographer to be invited by studios to document the filming of their movies and in essence capture the soul of each film, Willoughby’s photographs dominated the pages of culture and lifestyle magazines of the fifties right through to the seventies.
Known for his artfully informal pictures Audrey Hepburn, Willoughby’s big break came when his shot of Judy Garland on the set of A Star is Born made the front cover of Life Magazine.
An exhibition, Bob Willoughby: The Silver Age of Hollywood, includes images from the sets of The Graduate, Rebel Without A Cause, My Fair Lady, Ocean’s Eleven and Rosemary’s Baby, and offers an opportunity to see Hollywood stars in and out of character; in moments of high drama and at their most relaxed.
From today until 13 January 2013, Proud Chelsea, proudonline.co.uk
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world