Competition result: The peacock and the mouse come out on top
Sunday 20 June 2010
One is a beautiful and vain peacock; the other, a dirty field mouse. Together this unusual pairing has won first prize in our Brian Wildsmith competition: a limited edition print worth £650 of the best-selling illustrator's own unlikely duo, the parrot and jaguar who feature in his book
Winner Jessica Riley, from Hook, Hampshire, said: "Mr Peacock learns how he needs to be more kind and not so grumpy. He then teaches Mr Mouse how he can look great in a new feather coat made from his dropped feathers."
Mr Wildsmith, who helped to choose the winner, said Ms Riley's painting was "very, very competent and skilful, and a very interesting situation".
Two other entries were highly commended. Josie Perry, from Nottingham, depicted a "lazy and exasperated" cow with an "irritating and arrogant" peacock, and Ann Vastano from Aviemore, Scotland, showed two of the more unlikely animals to share a dinner table: an alligator and a zebra.
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police