Court blocks sale of Lichtenstein work that was reported stolen 40 years ago
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Thursday 02 August 2012
A painting by the prominent pop artist Roy Lichtenstein has been discovered more than four decades after it went missing, and has sparked a legal battle to make sure the work, worth £4m, does not disappear again.
The black-and-white Electric Cord, bought by the Leo Castelli Gallery in New York in 1970 for £750, disappeared after it was sent out to be cleaned.
When it failed to return, Mr Castelli, the gallery owner who had given Lichtenstein his first solo show in 1962, reported it stolen. His widow, Barbara Castelli, reported the theft again in 2006. The work resurfaced last month in a warehouse on New York's Upper East Side.
The Roy Lichtenstein Foundation alerted Mrs Castelli to the find after it was called in to authenticate the painting, which according to court records had been shipped in from Colombia in an attempt to sell it.
The Manhattan Supreme Court agreed on Tuesday to block the sale temporarily after an application by Mrs Castelli's lawyers, who said: "We're concerned that this painting is just going to disappear."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'