Damien Hirst and Antony Gormley customise AK47s for peace
Wednesday 26 September 2012
Artists such as Jake and Dinos Chapman have customised AK47 assault rifles to highlight a global ceasefire movement.
The pair have equipped two tiny mannequins with the weapons for the AKA Peace exhibition being staged at London's ICA.
Famous names such as Damien Hirst, Antony Gormley and Jeremy Deller are among those who have worked with decommissioned guns to contribute to the display of works which will be auctioned next month.
The artworks have been created for Peace One Day, an annual event which pushes for a truce in armed conflicts around the world.
Among the items on display are a rifle decorated by Laila Shawa coated in plastic gems and butterflies and another by Bran Symondson which has been covered in US dollar bills.
The exhibition continues until September 30, and the items will be auctioned on October 4 by Phillips de Pury & Company.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories