Henry VIII's court recreated at Buckingham Palace art exhibition
Monday 29 October 2012
The politics and personalities that dominated King Henry VIII's court are recreated in a new exhibition at Buckingham Palace.
Paintings, sketches and suits of armour are included in the show which opens next month.
The Northern Renaissance: Durer to Holbein includes 27 works by the German artist Hans Holbein the Younger who rose to the position of King's Painter.
Among the work on display is a portrait of Sir Thomas More who rose to the position of Lord Chancellor before his opposition to the king's split with the Catholic Church led to prison and his eventual execution.
Also included is a portrait of Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, who fell foul of the king but was saved when Henry died the night before his planned execution for high treason.
The exhibition at the Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, central London, opens on Friday 2 November.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world