Lord Foster pulls out of expansion of Moscow's Pushkin State Museum
Top British architect says the museum failed to include the firm in the work over the past several years
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Monday 19 August 2013
The expansion of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, one of the most prestigious and controversial building projects in Russia, has descended into chaos after Lord Foster quit the project after seven years saying he had been frozen out.
Confusion reigned as Moscow’s chief architect Sergei Kuznetsov this week called on Lord Foster to work more closely on the glittering project he won in 2009 or the job would go to a rival firm.
The celebrated British architect, whose buildings include the Gherkin, Wembley Stadium and Hong Kong International Airport, replied that his company Foster + Partners had already quit two months ago after the museum failed to include the firm in the work over the past several years.
Just to muddy the waters even further a report had emerged in Russia saying the culture ministry had cancelled the firm’s expansion plans in April. The architecture company did not comment on the report.
The project was scheduled for completion in 2018, but the government believe that may be pushed back two years.
Kuznetsov told local news outlets last week that he had no problem with Lord Foster and his designs; “the only problem is that either Norman Foster must himself work on the project and defend it face-to-face… or he must turn down this project”.
The Russian capital’s chief architect continued: “If Sir Foster, for one reason or another, refuses to participate further in the work, then, most likely, a competition will be held to choose another team, possibly of Western architects.”
Fosters + Partners' response may have come as a surprise to Mr Kuznetsov, with a spokesman saying the company “formally resigned from the Pushkin Museum project and stipulated that their name could not be used in conjunction with the project”.
Lord Foster had formally written to the director of the museum on June 5 to disclose the company’s decision to withdraw.
The spokesman said the company had taken the action “because the museum, for the last three years, has not involved us in the development of the project, which was being carried out by others. This was despite numerous attempts by the practice to continue working with the museum.”
Lord Foster talked through his plans in some detail at a lecture at the Royal Academy of Arts in 2008. This included creating a museum complex comprising the Pushkin and the renovation of 12 surrounding mansions.
The “Museum Town” would include a 600-seater concert hall, a library, an administration building and underground facilities. The plan is to expand the area of the museum to 125,000 square metres.
Museum director Irina Antonova had called Lord Foster onto the project in 2006 and he secured the mandate three years later. The director, who is over 90, quit in July after more than 50 years in charge.
Ms Antonova revealed last year that “not everyone likes the design. Many feel that Foster is too ambitious. But I want modern, high-quality architecture of the 21st century and not yet another building with columns.”
There was criticism of the project as it would have closed off some historic buildings to public access, with some objecting to the glass dome planned for the courtyard. Opponents included preservationist Rustam Rakhmatullin and the Academy of Sciences’ institute, which would have had to move out.
The Pushkin has a substantial collection of Western art stretching back centuries and its main building had not had major repairs since its opening in 1912.
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
Oscars 2015 Bringing you all the news from the 87th Academy Awards
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Film Hollywood's new leading lady talks about her Ramsay Street days
Oscar voter speaks outfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl: First look at Oscar winner as transgender artist
Catwoman comes out as bisexual
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Justin Kelly interview: On James Franco playing a gay man who renounces his homosexuality
Grace Dent on TV: Mary Portas: Secret Shopper delves into a grim cornucopia of retail wrongness
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts