'No evidence' to charge three Romanians accused of Picasso, Monet and Matisse art thefts
Friday 25 January 2013
A lawyer for three Romanians who are charged with stealing valuable paintings from a museum in the Netherlands last year says there is insufficient evidence to charge them.
The stolen art includes seven works by Picasso, Monet and Matisse.
Lawyer Doina Lupu said Friday "there is no evidence that this was an organized criminal group." She urged that the three not be extradited to the Netherlands, saying ''the arrests were based on assumptions and on simple declarations and these are not enough. ''
Bucharest Court on Friday ruled to keep the men in custody pending an investigation.
The thieves broke in 16 October through a rear emergency exit at Rotterdam's Kunsthal gallery, grabbed the paintings off the wall and fled, all within two minutes.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >