Serbia: Stolen Picassos found by police
Thursday 27 October 2011
Police have recovered two paintings by Pablo Picasso stolen in 2008 from a gallery in Switzerland.
Serbia's Interior Minister, Ivica Dacic, said yesterday the paintings – Tête de Cheval (Horse's Head) and Verre et Pichet (Glass and Pitcher) – were found in Belgrade.
The paintings, worth millions of pounds, were snatched from a gallery in the Swiss town of Pfäffikon, near Zurich.
The Interior Ministry said no arrests were made and declined to specify where they were found.
"We are now trying to ascertain who brought the paintings into Serbia, when and how, and where they were hidden," said Serbia's police director, Milorad Veljovic.
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
- 5 Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
Jorge Luis Borges fan brings his infinite library to life online
Game of Thrones, season 5 episode 4, review: Sansa in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
The highly NSFW poster for Gaspar Noé's Love makes Nymphomaniac look like 50 Shades
Trailer for Robin Williams' last film Absolutely Anything starring Simon Pegg released
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally