overheard. . . at the Tate's 'Rites of Passage'
Tuesday 20 June 1995
"I'm horrified. This is too much "
"His penis is like a button mushroom."
Couple in their mid-thirties both wearing glases
2. On Louise Bourgeois
"Red Room (The Parent)"
"What does it mean?"
"That's for you to decide. But if you want to know it's all about love. It really lays love on the line."
Two overdressed Essex girls
3. Outside Louis Bourgeois "Red Room parent" about a fellow art lover.
"D'you think he'll talk to me?"
"You'll never get the chance again. Ask him."
Two perfectly dressed girls from SW3
4. On Louise Bourgeois Nature Study 5
"Ooh. It looks like little piglets, doesn't it?"
Middle-aged man in a pinstripe suit
5. On Louise Bourgeois
Cell (Hands and Mirror)
"Oh look. She's really involved in it. She just seems to love opening and shutting the doors."
Bearded father to a friend about his three-year-old daughter who is playing with the piece
"Can you stop that please."
Museum attendant to three-year-old daughter
6. Inside the Bill Viola Installation
(a pitch black room)
"You see we're just unwitting performers."
"But it just doesn't engage me."
"This is really where it's at."
"Well as far as I'm concerned it can stay there, I've had enough."
Two smart young men
7. Outside the Bill Viola installation
"I don't like it. It's just like the bear's cave"
Small 60-year-old woman
8. On Susan Hiller's installation
"Oh gawd. It's broken down again."
"If you want to know, it's been breaking down all day."
A (Polish) living sculpture
9. On Mona Hatoum
"Look. You see that girl there? That's her. It's her body in there.You know all those innards, you know, with the camera inside her."
"I wonder if she enjoyed it?"
Two Chanel-clad girls
10. On Miroslaw Balka's "Shepherdess"
"It's very interesting, isn't it? And now I think we've seen enough."
Rich European woman to her companion
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
Arts & Ents blogs
Game of Thrones rape scene: George R. R. Martin says 'whole dynamic' was different in the book
The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones season 4, episode 3, TV review - 'Enjoyable but no Purple Wedding'
Women take on Bear Grylls over 'sexist' male-only desert island show
Eurovision 2014 contestants: Meet all the acts from Molly Smitten-Downes to Conchita Wurst
Ukip election posters: Nigel Farage defends 'racist' campaign anti-immigration campaign ahead of Europe elections
Is Britain really a land of God? Furious debate after David Cameron claims we are a Christian country
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Ukip leader Nigel Farage defends employing German wife, at launch of anti-immigration poster campaign
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 1 Revealed: Scientists ‘edit’ DNA to correct adult genes and cure diseases
- 2 David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Women take on Bear Grylls over 'sexist' male-only desert island show
- 5 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’