overheard. . . at the Tate's 'Rites of Passage'
Tuesday 20 June 1995
"I'm horrified. This is too much "
"His penis is like a button mushroom."
Couple in their mid-thirties both wearing glases
2. On Louise Bourgeois
"Red Room (The Parent)"
"What does it mean?"
"That's for you to decide. But if you want to know it's all about love. It really lays love on the line."
Two overdressed Essex girls
3. Outside Louis Bourgeois "Red Room parent" about a fellow art lover.
"D'you think he'll talk to me?"
"You'll never get the chance again. Ask him."
Two perfectly dressed girls from SW3
4. On Louise Bourgeois Nature Study 5
"Ooh. It looks like little piglets, doesn't it?"
Middle-aged man in a pinstripe suit
5. On Louise Bourgeois
Cell (Hands and Mirror)
"Oh look. She's really involved in it. She just seems to love opening and shutting the doors."
Bearded father to a friend about his three-year-old daughter who is playing with the piece
"Can you stop that please."
Museum attendant to three-year-old daughter
6. Inside the Bill Viola Installation
(a pitch black room)
"You see we're just unwitting performers."
"But it just doesn't engage me."
"This is really where it's at."
"Well as far as I'm concerned it can stay there, I've had enough."
Two smart young men
7. Outside the Bill Viola installation
"I don't like it. It's just like the bear's cave"
Small 60-year-old woman
8. On Susan Hiller's installation
"Oh gawd. It's broken down again."
"If you want to know, it's been breaking down all day."
A (Polish) living sculpture
9. On Mona Hatoum
"Look. You see that girl there? That's her. It's her body in there.You know all those innards, you know, with the camera inside her."
"I wonder if she enjoyed it?"
Two Chanel-clad girls
10. On Miroslaw Balka's "Shepherdess"
"It's very interesting, isn't it? And now I think we've seen enough."
Rich European woman to her companion
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
Penny Dreadful, series 2 episode 1, review: It is still gloriously silly
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
Eurovision 2015: What date and time is the song contest and who are the favourites to win?
How the Other Half Eat, Channel 4 - TV review: Swapping food trolleys shows how food and class are closely connected
Noel Gallagher 'cannot wait' to hear Oasis-inspired One Direction album but rants about 'pointless' Tidal and Spotify
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils