overheard. . . at the Tate's 'Rites of Passage'
Tuesday 20 June 1995
"I'm horrified. This is too much "
"His penis is like a button mushroom."
Couple in their mid-thirties both wearing glases
2. On Louise Bourgeois
"Red Room (The Parent)"
"What does it mean?"
"That's for you to decide. But if you want to know it's all about love. It really lays love on the line."
Two overdressed Essex girls
3. Outside Louis Bourgeois "Red Room parent" about a fellow art lover.
"D'you think he'll talk to me?"
"You'll never get the chance again. Ask him."
Two perfectly dressed girls from SW3
4. On Louise Bourgeois Nature Study 5
"Ooh. It looks like little piglets, doesn't it?"
Middle-aged man in a pinstripe suit
5. On Louise Bourgeois
Cell (Hands and Mirror)
"Oh look. She's really involved in it. She just seems to love opening and shutting the doors."
Bearded father to a friend about his three-year-old daughter who is playing with the piece
"Can you stop that please."
Museum attendant to three-year-old daughter
6. Inside the Bill Viola Installation
(a pitch black room)
"You see we're just unwitting performers."
"But it just doesn't engage me."
"This is really where it's at."
"Well as far as I'm concerned it can stay there, I've had enough."
Two smart young men
7. Outside the Bill Viola installation
"I don't like it. It's just like the bear's cave"
Small 60-year-old woman
8. On Susan Hiller's installation
"Oh gawd. It's broken down again."
"If you want to know, it's been breaking down all day."
A (Polish) living sculpture
9. On Mona Hatoum
"Look. You see that girl there? That's her. It's her body in there.You know all those innards, you know, with the camera inside her."
"I wonder if she enjoyed it?"
Two Chanel-clad girls
10. On Miroslaw Balka's "Shepherdess"
"It's very interesting, isn't it? And now I think we've seen enough."
Rich European woman to her companion
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’