overheard. . . at the Tate's 'Rites of Passage'
Tuesday 20 June 1995
"I'm horrified. This is too much "
"His penis is like a button mushroom."
Couple in their mid-thirties both wearing glases
2. On Louise Bourgeois
"Red Room (The Parent)"
"What does it mean?"
"That's for you to decide. But if you want to know it's all about love. It really lays love on the line."
Two overdressed Essex girls
3. Outside Louis Bourgeois "Red Room parent" about a fellow art lover.
"D'you think he'll talk to me?"
"You'll never get the chance again. Ask him."
Two perfectly dressed girls from SW3
4. On Louise Bourgeois Nature Study 5
"Ooh. It looks like little piglets, doesn't it?"
Middle-aged man in a pinstripe suit
5. On Louise Bourgeois
Cell (Hands and Mirror)
"Oh look. She's really involved in it. She just seems to love opening and shutting the doors."
Bearded father to a friend about his three-year-old daughter who is playing with the piece
"Can you stop that please."
Museum attendant to three-year-old daughter
6. Inside the Bill Viola Installation
(a pitch black room)
"You see we're just unwitting performers."
"But it just doesn't engage me."
"This is really where it's at."
"Well as far as I'm concerned it can stay there, I've had enough."
Two smart young men
7. Outside the Bill Viola installation
"I don't like it. It's just like the bear's cave"
Small 60-year-old woman
8. On Susan Hiller's installation
"Oh gawd. It's broken down again."
"If you want to know, it's been breaking down all day."
A (Polish) living sculpture
9. On Mona Hatoum
"Look. You see that girl there? That's her. It's her body in there.You know all those innards, you know, with the camera inside her."
"I wonder if she enjoyed it?"
Two Chanel-clad girls
10. On Miroslaw Balka's "Shepherdess"
"It's very interesting, isn't it? And now I think we've seen enough."
Rich European woman to her companion
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Downton Abbey fans outraged at Kindle sponsorship adverts
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since TV series ended in 2004
Downton Abbey series 5, episode 1, ITV, review: There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turning
New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave drama after a decade of crime-solving
Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned PR disaster
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God