Overheard. . . The things they're saying about Turner's 'Rain Steam and Speed, the Great Western Railway' at the National Gallery
Tuesday 13 June 1995
Middle-aged man in tweed jacket with two foreign students.
2. "C'est magnifique."
"Mais ou est le train?"
Two elderly French women.
3. "There is tremendous expressive power in the diminishing diagonal of the bridge which... mmm... stands firm under the assault of a storm which seems of truly... cosmic dimensions...Yes. That's right I think."
German backpacker reading slowly from an (English) guide-book to his wife and two-year-old child.
4. "Oh yeah. Turner. Right. So what's next?"
Large American woman.
5. "You see, as he grew older, he became almost blind. Did you know that? Light became everything for him. Look. Can you see? Do you see what I am saying?"
American man in docksiders to his bored wife.
6. "C'est super. Non?"
Two Frenchwomen to a party of streetwise French kids.
7. "Hey. The beginning of abstract art."
Laughing biker to his girlfriend.
8. "Look. There it is."
Two American men, one carrying a baby.
9."Turner... Turner... Turner..."
Twenty Japanese tourists, with a guide. (In unison).
10. "I'm too tired too look at it"
"Well... while we're here, eh?"
"You know they expect us to walk back to the bus?"
Elderly English couple.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers