Overheard. . . The things they're saying about Turner's 'Rain Steam and Speed, the Great Western Railway' at the National Gallery
Tuesday 13 June 1995
Middle-aged man in tweed jacket with two foreign students.
2. "C'est magnifique."
"Mais ou est le train?"
Two elderly French women.
3. "There is tremendous expressive power in the diminishing diagonal of the bridge which... mmm... stands firm under the assault of a storm which seems of truly... cosmic dimensions...Yes. That's right I think."
German backpacker reading slowly from an (English) guide-book to his wife and two-year-old child.
4. "Oh yeah. Turner. Right. So what's next?"
Large American woman.
5. "You see, as he grew older, he became almost blind. Did you know that? Light became everything for him. Look. Can you see? Do you see what I am saying?"
American man in docksiders to his bored wife.
6. "C'est super. Non?"
Two Frenchwomen to a party of streetwise French kids.
7. "Hey. The beginning of abstract art."
Laughing biker to his girlfriend.
8. "Look. There it is."
Two American men, one carrying a baby.
9."Turner... Turner... Turner..."
Twenty Japanese tourists, with a guide. (In unison).
10. "I'm too tired too look at it"
"Well... while we're here, eh?"
"You know they expect us to walk back to the bus?"
Elderly English couple.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cara Delevigne addresses awkward interview on Good Day Sacramento
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'
Frank Ocean, where's that new album at?
Donovan interview: The singer is releasing a greatest hits album to mark his 50th year in folk
Jesse Pinkman's meth den house from Breaking Bad is yours for $1.6 million
Top Gear: Jenson Button reportedly joining Chris Evans as replacement host
R Kelly's Ignition (Remix) is the most nostalgic song going, according to Spotify
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
Calais crisis: For desperate migrants it is 'England or death' as they brave dogs, riot police and speeding trains