Overheard. . . The things they're saying about Turner's 'Rain Steam and Speed, the Great Western Railway' at the National Gallery
Tuesday 13 June 1995
Middle-aged man in tweed jacket with two foreign students.
2. "C'est magnifique."
"Mais ou est le train?"
Two elderly French women.
3. "There is tremendous expressive power in the diminishing diagonal of the bridge which... mmm... stands firm under the assault of a storm which seems of truly... cosmic dimensions...Yes. That's right I think."
German backpacker reading slowly from an (English) guide-book to his wife and two-year-old child.
4. "Oh yeah. Turner. Right. So what's next?"
Large American woman.
5. "You see, as he grew older, he became almost blind. Did you know that? Light became everything for him. Look. Can you see? Do you see what I am saying?"
American man in docksiders to his bored wife.
6. "C'est super. Non?"
Two Frenchwomen to a party of streetwise French kids.
7. "Hey. The beginning of abstract art."
Laughing biker to his girlfriend.
8. "Look. There it is."
Two American men, one carrying a baby.
9."Turner... Turner... Turner..."
Twenty Japanese tourists, with a guide. (In unison).
10. "I'm too tired too look at it"
"Well... while we're here, eh?"
"You know they expect us to walk back to the bus?"
Elderly English couple.
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 4 - review: Sansa is in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
May the Fourth Be With You: The internet celebrates Star Wars Day with new Twitter symbols and memes
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
In defence of liberal democracy