Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


'Spider-Man' director replaced

"Spider-Man," Broadway's troubled, $65 million musical, will get a new director and a makeover after months of technical problems, bad reviews and delays to opening night.

The lead producers announced a delay of opening night - which had been last scheduled to be March 15 - until "early summer, 2011" to give time for "significant and exciting revisions to the production."

A statement published late Tuesday said that veteran Broadway director Philip William McKinley will take over from Julie Taymor as director of the show featuring critically panned music by U2's Bono and The Edge.

Producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah Harris said Taymor was not being entirely ousted. "Her vision has been at the heart of this production since its inception and will continue to be so. Julie's previous commitments mean that past March 15th, she cannot work the 24/7 necessary."

"We cannot exaggerate how technically difficult it is to make such changes to a show of this complexity, so it's with great pride that we announce that Phil McKinley is joining the creative team," the statement said.

After six delays to opening night, a horrific injury to a stunt man and the departure of a lead actress, "Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark" has known little but trouble.

Ironically, preview shows have been close to sold out and the drama-filled show is reportedly raking in healthy sales.