Titian painting auctions for record $16.8 mln
Saturday 29 January 2011
A sumptuous painting of the Madonna and child by Renaissance master Titian sold for a record $16,882,500 Thursday in New York.
The Sotheby's auction easily broke a 20-year-old record of $13.6 million for a Titian.
The painting, "A Sacra Conversazione: The Madonna and Child with Saints Luke and Catherine of Alexandria," depicts the Virgin Mary and the two saints posed around a chubby infant Jesus as he stretches out his left hand.
"'A Sacra Conversazione' is one of only a handful of multi-figured compositions by Titian that remain in private hands, and is the most important to appear at auction in decades," Sotheby's said.
The work, painted in about 1560, had not been seen on the market in some 30 years.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >