Van Gogh, most reproduced artist of past decade according to website
Thursday 10 June 2010
In the Top 10 list of most popular handmade oil painting reproductions issued by overstockArt.com, a website based in Kansas, USA, selling online painting reproductions, Dutch master Vincent van Gogh ranks first and second with his "Starry Night" and "Café Terrace at Night," while "The Kiss" by Austrian Gustav Klimt ranks third.
According to the website's statistics, Van Gogh reproductions' total sales numbers are far ahead of other great masters such as Gustav Klimt, French painter Claude Monet or even Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci who ranks fifth with his "Mona Lisa."
Overstockart.com CEO, David Sasson, claims that his site is "the internet leader of handmade reproduction oil paintings." They sold more than a million oil paintings during the past ten years, and they receive over 10,000 daily online visitors.
Their main competitors in the handmade art reproduction paintings business include Oilpaintingsgallery.com in the USA, Isabel.com in France (Paris), Toucanart.com based in Portugal, or 1st-art-gallery.com in the USA and Australia, among many others.
Here is the top ten list for the past decade by overstockArt.com :
1. "Starry Night" - Vincent van Gogh
2. "Café Terrace at Night" - Vincent van Gogh
3. "The Kiss" - Gustav Klimt
4. "Poppy Field at Argenteuil" - Claude Monet
5. "The Mona Lisa" - Da Vinci
6. "Le Rêve" (The Dream) - Pablo Picasso
7. "Luncheon of the Boating Party" - Pierre August Renoir
8. "The Scream" - Edvard Munch
9. "Red Cannas" - Georgia O'Keeffe
10. "Persistence of Memory" - Salvador Dali
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are US film censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >