Van Gogh, most reproduced artist of past decade according to website
Thursday 10 June 2010
In the Top 10 list of most popular handmade oil painting reproductions issued by overstockArt.com, a website based in Kansas, USA, selling online painting reproductions, Dutch master Vincent van Gogh ranks first and second with his "Starry Night" and "Café Terrace at Night," while "The Kiss" by Austrian Gustav Klimt ranks third.
According to the website's statistics, Van Gogh reproductions' total sales numbers are far ahead of other great masters such as Gustav Klimt, French painter Claude Monet or even Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci who ranks fifth with his "Mona Lisa."
Overstockart.com CEO, David Sasson, claims that his site is "the internet leader of handmade reproduction oil paintings." They sold more than a million oil paintings during the past ten years, and they receive over 10,000 daily online visitors.
Their main competitors in the handmade art reproduction paintings business include Oilpaintingsgallery.com in the USA, Isabel.com in France (Paris), Toucanart.com based in Portugal, or 1st-art-gallery.com in the USA and Australia, among many others.
Here is the top ten list for the past decade by overstockArt.com :
1. "Starry Night" - Vincent van Gogh
2. "Café Terrace at Night" - Vincent van Gogh
3. "The Kiss" - Gustav Klimt
4. "Poppy Field at Argenteuil" - Claude Monet
5. "The Mona Lisa" - Da Vinci
6. "Le Rêve" (The Dream) - Pablo Picasso
7. "Luncheon of the Boating Party" - Pierre August Renoir
8. "The Scream" - Edvard Munch
9. "Red Cannas" - Georgia O'Keeffe
10. "Persistence of Memory" - Salvador Dali
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
JK Rowling announces Harry Potter's son is starting at Hogwarts
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
Photographer fights ginger discrimination with vivid portraits of redheads
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up