Van Gogh, most reproduced artist of past decade according to website
Thursday 10 June 2010
In the Top 10 list of most popular handmade oil painting reproductions issued by overstockArt.com, a website based in Kansas, USA, selling online painting reproductions, Dutch master Vincent van Gogh ranks first and second with his "Starry Night" and "Café Terrace at Night," while "The Kiss" by Austrian Gustav Klimt ranks third.
According to the website's statistics, Van Gogh reproductions' total sales numbers are far ahead of other great masters such as Gustav Klimt, French painter Claude Monet or even Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci who ranks fifth with his "Mona Lisa."
Overstockart.com CEO, David Sasson, claims that his site is "the internet leader of handmade reproduction oil paintings." They sold more than a million oil paintings during the past ten years, and they receive over 10,000 daily online visitors.
Their main competitors in the handmade art reproduction paintings business include Oilpaintingsgallery.com in the USA, Isabel.com in France (Paris), Toucanart.com based in Portugal, or 1st-art-gallery.com in the USA and Australia, among many others.
Here is the top ten list for the past decade by overstockArt.com :
1. "Starry Night" - Vincent van Gogh
2. "Café Terrace at Night" - Vincent van Gogh
3. "The Kiss" - Gustav Klimt
4. "Poppy Field at Argenteuil" - Claude Monet
5. "The Mona Lisa" - Da Vinci
6. "Le Rêve" (The Dream) - Pablo Picasso
7. "Luncheon of the Boating Party" - Pierre August Renoir
8. "The Scream" - Edvard Munch
9. "Red Cannas" - Georgia O'Keeffe
10. "Persistence of Memory" - Salvador Dali
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
TVBBC hopes latest Danish import will spell success
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 4 The top 50 cities for young people to live in
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
The C-Word - review: Sheridan Smith shines in a warm, honest adaptation of Lisa Lynch's book about living with cancer
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 4 - review: Sansa is in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six: Make-up 'used to darken skin of actors to make them look Native American'
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils