Van Gogh, most reproduced artist of past decade according to website
Thursday 10 June 2010
In the Top 10 list of most popular handmade oil painting reproductions issued by overstockArt.com, a website based in Kansas, USA, selling online painting reproductions, Dutch master Vincent van Gogh ranks first and second with his "Starry Night" and "Café Terrace at Night," while "The Kiss" by Austrian Gustav Klimt ranks third.
According to the website's statistics, Van Gogh reproductions' total sales numbers are far ahead of other great masters such as Gustav Klimt, French painter Claude Monet or even Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci who ranks fifth with his "Mona Lisa."
Overstockart.com CEO, David Sasson, claims that his site is "the internet leader of handmade reproduction oil paintings." They sold more than a million oil paintings during the past ten years, and they receive over 10,000 daily online visitors.
Their main competitors in the handmade art reproduction paintings business include Oilpaintingsgallery.com in the USA, Isabel.com in France (Paris), Toucanart.com based in Portugal, or 1st-art-gallery.com in the USA and Australia, among many others.
Here is the top ten list for the past decade by overstockArt.com :
1. "Starry Night" - Vincent van Gogh
2. "Café Terrace at Night" - Vincent van Gogh
3. "The Kiss" - Gustav Klimt
4. "Poppy Field at Argenteuil" - Claude Monet
5. "The Mona Lisa" - Da Vinci
6. "Le Rêve" (The Dream) - Pablo Picasso
7. "Luncheon of the Boating Party" - Pierre August Renoir
8. "The Scream" - Edvard Munch
9. "Red Cannas" - Georgia O'Keeffe
10. "Persistence of Memory" - Salvador Dali
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 4 African jawbone discovery pushes birth of humanity back by 400,000 years
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
The Great Comic Relief Bake Off, TV review: Alexa Chung impresses, but Chris Moyles makes Paul Hollywood gag
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Seth Rogan's pot fumes delay hacked Sony boss’s office move
India's Daughter: BBC Four documentary provokes outrage on Twitter
India's Daughter, TV review: Delhi bus rape documentary is about women's rights around the world - not just in India
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin