Artcetera: The weekly quiz that tests your knowledge of the arts
Sunday 29 December 1996
2 Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Sophia Petrillo and Blanche Devereaux were collectively known as what?
3 "For lust of knowing what should not be known", what are we up to?
4 What was discovered by Charlotte Stant in a curio shop, and smashed by Fanny Assingham?
5 What connects Mervyn LeRoy in 1933, Busby Berkeley in 1935, Lloyd Bacon in 1937 and Sally Potter in 1983?
6 Whose characteristics include being warm like the sun, heading west, staying for a day then moving away, and generally banishing frowns?
1 One's The Man with the Golden Arm (in the novel by Nelson Algren and the Otto Preminger film), the other's The Man with the Golden Gun (in the James Bond yarn). 2 The Golden Girls in the long-running sitcom. 3 "We take the Golden Road to Samarkand" - the best-known line of Hassan, an extravagant Oriental verse-drama by James Elroy Flecker. 4 The Golden Bowl, in Henry James's novel. 5 Gold Diggers - LeRoy, Berkeley and Bacon directed the musicals Gold Diggers of 1933, 1935 and 1937 respectively; Potter directed the experimental feminist film The Gold Diggers 6 "Golden Brown", in the song by the Stranglers.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly