ARTS: Daring to be boring
PETER YORK ON ADS: No 225: AXA
Axa are big Euro-insurers, but are pretty unknown here. So what do they do to lay the groundwork, the marketing platform for gaining a share in the exciting UK personal financial services market? They big up mightily. They tell you that every day millions of people, etc. But they know insurance has to have a heartfelt theme word and some modestly surreal visual stuff too. The word is faith and the visuals involve knife-throwers, long roads to the future and a blind girl walking between two freight trains.
The pay-off looks like the old BBC News's concentric circles. Out of them emerge dismal words like pensions, life assurance, business insurance. This goes against the wisdom that says financial services are so boring their promotion should be built around brand personality.
It may be, however, that the Axa commercial's not intended for real people at all, but rather for the City and the industry, in which case there should be a warning of some kind, as in: "For red-hot insurance guys only".
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture