Sunday 05 December 1993
Helen Mirren on DCI Jane
Tennison, her character in
Prime Suspect, Independent
They are very into body language, the police. They understand it much better than actors. I can never tell when someone is lying, but they know immediately.
Helen Mirren, ibid.
When Larry Olivier came up to smoke my ganja, Noel would sort of tolerate it but was very sniffy about it.
Morris Cargill, a neighbour
of Noel Coward in Jamaica,
Harpers & Queen
I had no idea the ceremony would be so moving . . . It was possibly the march of history and being in such grand surroundings.
Bob Monkhouse, on collecting
his OBE at Buckingham Palace,
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland