Saturday 03 April 1999
Let's analyse the position. There are three main variants:
l I have 20 rolls that make my three-point and, if white fans again, I have definitely lost my market as white will pass.
l If I make the three-point and white enters, what then? I still have to escape two men from behind white's four-point prime and at the same time contain the white man on my one-point. I'm still the favourite to win the game but not a big favourite.
l I have 16 rolls that fail to make my three-point. If that happens I could be in big trouble very quickly, especially if white hits my blot.
In all variations I must still extract those back from white's home board. One mistimed set of double threes or fours and I could self-destruct.
All in all there are not enough threats and too much could quickly go wrong to justify doubling this position. Should I have waited to make my three-point before doubling?
Absolutely not! I thought all three opponents would drop and I was right. Knowing your opponents is a vital element in backgammon, perhaps more important than calculating percentages.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >