Tuesday 11 May 1999
Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Anson, 70; Sir Edgar Beck, president, John Mowlem, 88; Lady Rachel Billington, writer, 57; Sir Rhodes Boyson, former MP, 74; Mr Eric Burdon, rock musician, 58; Professor Michael Hamlin, former Principal, Dundee University, 69; Sir Ernest Harrison, chairman, Racal Electronics, 73; Professor Antony Hewish, radio astronomer, 75; Sir Anthony Hollis, former High Court judge, 72; Sir Gordon Langley, High Court judge, 56; Brigadier Joan Moriarty, former Matron-in-Chief, Army Nursing Services, 76; Mr John Parrott, snooker player, 35; Mr Jeremy Paxman, television presenter, 49; Mr Ian Redpath, cricketer, 58; Miss Natasha Richardson, actress, 36; Mr Mort Sahl, comedian, 72; Mr Mike Sleman, rugby player, 49; Miss Judith Weir, composer, 45; Mr Richard Wilkinson, ambassador to Venezuela, 53; The Hon Montague Woodhouse, historian, 82.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate