BOOK: Sunrise with Sea Monster by Neil Jordan,
It is the tale of a taut father-son relationship with a timeless feel, though set purposefully in the Second World War in neutral Ireland. The narrator-son Donal returns to Bray from the Spanish Civil War, where he had supported the Republican cause, re leased from jail by a German officer who expects intelligence in return, camply insisting on the code names Rhett and Scarlett and a cipher based on Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Donal is caught up not only in a fiasco of wartime betrayals, handle d with considerable larkiness, but in a love triangle with his lovely ex-piano teacher turned stepmother, Rose, and his once politically powerful father, now a stroke victim. The cinematically vivid images of rain-drenched promenades and father and son se tting nightlines for fish in the Irish sea linger saltily. The fable-like ending, with ghost and sea monster, is startlingly effective. Maggie Traugott
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 4 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.