BOOKS: ART LIFE
POSTCARD BIOGRAPHIES FROM THE NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY; Claire Tomalin on Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797)
Sunday 28 December 1997
Fiercely intelligent self-educated polemicist, she became one of the great thinkers of the Enlightenment, firing the opening shots in the long battle for sexual equality. But in her private life she was an archetypal Romantic heroine, loving and betrayed, a solitary traveller with a tragic destiny. Opie's portrait catches her momentarily serene in pregnancy: within months she died giving birth to her equally renowned daughter, Mary Shelley.
! Claire Tomalin by Jillian Edelstein, 1989 cJillian Edelstein. Mary Wollstonecraft by John Opie, c1797 cNPG. The NPG has produced a pack of 25 pull-out postcards. Now on sale (pounds 5) in the NPG shop, or by mail order (0171 306 0055, x280/ fax 0171 306 0092). Add pounds 1 p&p for up to two packs, pounds 1.50 thereafter.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >