Books: Pick Of The Week - Giles Foden and Magnus Mills
Thur Borders, Charing Cross Road, London
Saturday 25 September 1999
Magnus Mills has also just published a second novel - All Quiet on the Orient Express (Flamingo pounds 9.99) - hard on the heels of Only When the Sun Shines Brightly (Acorn pounds 3.99), his collection of short stories.
All Quiet on the Orient Express is the sinister tale of a naive soul who foolishly offers to paint a farm gate for a campsite owner at the end of the holiday season.
Giles Foden reads from `Ladysmith' and Magnus Mills reads from `All Quiet on the Orient Express' at Borders, 120 Charing Cross Road, London WC1 (0171-379 8877), Thur, 7pm, free
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Laughs go global as Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran bring international comedians to the Edinburgh Fringe
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women