Audiobooks / In the Psychiatrist's Chair with Anthony Clare
In the Psychiatrist's Chair with Anthony Clare; Tiger in the Smoke read by Francis Matthews
Saturday 08 June 1996
Margery Allingham writes in such a powerfully visual, even sensual, way that to hear her acknowledged masterpiece read aloud is almost to be moving about in fog-filled London oneself. Tiger in the Smoke (Chivers, 8hrs, 15 mins, pounds 16.99, mail order 01225 335336) is not only an excellent thriller but an elegy for the simplicities of wartime patriotism and prescient warning of the advent of a new, somehow rudderless, society. Francis Matthews does full justice both to this and other unabridged Allingham titles issued by Chivers.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
This little boy loves books so much that he cries when his mother stops reading to him
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Idris Elba responds to comments he's 'too street' to play James Bond as 007 author apologises for controversial comment
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up