BOOKS / Recommended
Saturday 24 September 1994
Beside the Ocean of Time by George Mackay Brown, John Murray, pounds 14.99. A quietly magical novel set in the Orkneys. Review by Christina Hardyment, 17 September.
None to Accompany Me by Nadine Gordimer, Bloomsbury, pounds 15.99. Gordimer's new novel deals eloquently with both the euphoria and the dull realities of the new South Africa. Review by Briege Duffaud, 17 September.
Dark Places by Kate Grenville, Picador, pounds 14.99. Stirring portrait of a sadistic Victorian patriarch by one of Australia's leading novelists. Review by Natasha Walter, 26 August.
It All Adds Up by Saul Bellow, Secker & Warburg, pounds 20. Rebellious, vigorous reflections on modern life. Review by Robert Winder, 16 September.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Adam Levine's biggest fan had a panic attack upon meeting him, so the singer laid down on the floor to get a photo with him
- 5 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
Fifty Shades of Grey banned by Indian censors despite sex scenes being edited out
The Great Comic Relief Bake Off, TV review: Alexa Chung impresses, but Chris Moyles makes Paul Hollywood gag
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Seth Rogan's pot fumes delay hacked Sony boss’s office move
India's Daughter: BBC Four documentary provokes outrage on Twitter
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin