BOOKS / Recommended
Saturday 24 September 1994
Beside the Ocean of Time by George Mackay Brown, John Murray, pounds 14.99. A quietly magical novel set in the Orkneys. Review by Christina Hardyment, 17 September.
None to Accompany Me by Nadine Gordimer, Bloomsbury, pounds 15.99. Gordimer's new novel deals eloquently with both the euphoria and the dull realities of the new South Africa. Review by Briege Duffaud, 17 September.
Dark Places by Kate Grenville, Picador, pounds 14.99. Stirring portrait of a sadistic Victorian patriarch by one of Australia's leading novelists. Review by Natasha Walter, 26 August.
It All Adds Up by Saul Bellow, Secker & Warburg, pounds 20. Rebellious, vigorous reflections on modern life. Review by Robert Winder, 16 September.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures