BOOKS / Recommended
Saturday 16 October 1993
Feather Crowns by Bobbie Ann Mason, Chatto & Windus, pounds 15.99. Exhilarating, tragic novel about clannish life on the farm in rural America. Review by Anthony Quinn, 2 October.
Grand Days by Frank Moorhouse, Picador, pounds 14.99. Compelling story about a woman's romantic career, set against the turbulent birth of the League of Nations. Review by Natasha Walter, 11 September.
A Wreath Upon the Dead by Briege Duffaud, Poolbeg, pounds 14.99. Remarkable novel full of splendid voices exploring the fateful history of Northern Ireland. Review by Robert Winder, 1 October.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
Family Guy, BBC2 - review: The Simpsons crossover highlights gulf between the cartoons
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture