Competition: Literary quiz
Friday 29 November 1996
As Shirley Conran said: "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom," so let's get on with Section One:
Eight dishes, eight countries, but which originated where? If you were eating the foods numbered 1 to 8, which of the countries a to h would you expect to be in? We're talking proper ethnic stuff here, no cheap foreign imitations. So if you think Rodgrod comes from Russia, just write "1g" on your answer, and so on until all dishes and countries are consumed.
2. Nasi Goreng
7. Unkar beyendi
Pause between courses to remember, as Ogden Nash said, that "parsley is gharsley".
And swiftly on to Section 2:
Eight dishes, eight ingredients, but can you match them correctly? For each of the dishes, numbered 1 to 8, you must identify one characteristic ingredient (not necessarily the principal one) from those lettered a to h. You should end up with no waste and all ingredients allocated.
1. Hindle wakes
2. Stargazey pie
4. Eggs Benedict
5. Omelette norvegienne
6. Angels on horseback
8. Gentleman's Relish
d) ice cream
"It's good food and not fine words that keeps me alive," wrote Moliere, but here are some fine words to end the quiz.
DEVOURING THE LITERATURE:
All you have to do is pick the right words from those lettered a to h to fill the gaps in the quotations 1 to 8.
1. "--- should be well-sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing." (Samuel Johnson)
2. "He was a bold man that first eat ---." (Jonathan Swift)
3. "That evening, for the first time, I tasted ---, roasted on a forked stick over the ashes, which I thought then, and still consider, to be one of the greatest delicacies." (Frederick Courteney Selous)
4. "What I say is that, if a fellow really likes ---, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow." (A A Milne)
5. "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of ---." (G K Chesterton).
6. "Madam, I have been looking for a person who disliked --- all my life; let us swear eternal friendship." (Sydney Smith)
7. "--- is an important part of a balanced diet." (Fran Leibowitz)
8. "A biochemist once told me that every minute --- is cooked makes it take three hours longer to digest." (M F K Fisher)
a) an egg
c) an oyster
h) elephant's heart
Send all your answers to Dillons Food Quiz, The Independent, 1 Canada Square, London E14 5DL to reach us by 17 December. Usual The Independent competition rules apply.
TV reviewBroadcasting House was preparing for a visit from Prince Charles spoiler alert
Glastonbury Michael Eavis reveals final headline act 'most likely' British pair
Film Ewan McGregor joins star-studded Beauty and the Beast cast as Lumiere
TVThe Island with Bear Grylls under fire after male contestants kill and eat rare crocodile
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 'Isis' schoolgirls: Missing British teenager tweets picture of her Syrian takeaway
Poldark, series 1 finale, review: How a costume drama became a Sunday night swoon-fest
Al Pacino admits he was nearly fired from The Godfather and it's still his most 'difficult role'
Warner Music owner Len Blavatnik tops Sunday Times Rich List
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 3, review: Sansa and manhood-lopping torturer Ramsay Bolton - really?
The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding