Competition: Literary quiz
Friday 29 November 1996
As Shirley Conran said: "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom," so let's get on with Section One:
Eight dishes, eight countries, but which originated where? If you were eating the foods numbered 1 to 8, which of the countries a to h would you expect to be in? We're talking proper ethnic stuff here, no cheap foreign imitations. So if you think Rodgrod comes from Russia, just write "1g" on your answer, and so on until all dishes and countries are consumed.
2. Nasi Goreng
7. Unkar beyendi
Pause between courses to remember, as Ogden Nash said, that "parsley is gharsley".
And swiftly on to Section 2:
Eight dishes, eight ingredients, but can you match them correctly? For each of the dishes, numbered 1 to 8, you must identify one characteristic ingredient (not necessarily the principal one) from those lettered a to h. You should end up with no waste and all ingredients allocated.
1. Hindle wakes
2. Stargazey pie
4. Eggs Benedict
5. Omelette norvegienne
6. Angels on horseback
8. Gentleman's Relish
d) ice cream
"It's good food and not fine words that keeps me alive," wrote Moliere, but here are some fine words to end the quiz.
DEVOURING THE LITERATURE:
All you have to do is pick the right words from those lettered a to h to fill the gaps in the quotations 1 to 8.
1. "--- should be well-sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing." (Samuel Johnson)
2. "He was a bold man that first eat ---." (Jonathan Swift)
3. "That evening, for the first time, I tasted ---, roasted on a forked stick over the ashes, which I thought then, and still consider, to be one of the greatest delicacies." (Frederick Courteney Selous)
4. "What I say is that, if a fellow really likes ---, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow." (A A Milne)
5. "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of ---." (G K Chesterton).
6. "Madam, I have been looking for a person who disliked --- all my life; let us swear eternal friendship." (Sydney Smith)
7. "--- is an important part of a balanced diet." (Fran Leibowitz)
8. "A biochemist once told me that every minute --- is cooked makes it take three hours longer to digest." (M F K Fisher)
a) an egg
c) an oyster
h) elephant's heart
Send all your answers to Dillons Food Quiz, The Independent, 1 Canada Square, London E14 5DL to reach us by 17 December. Usual The Independent competition rules apply.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
Jay Z's Tidal could be about to lose Beyonce's music in ultimate humiliation
Thrill of the chaste: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
Bob Dylan: How the Isle of Wight festival managed to steal the voice of a generation from Woodstock
Big Brother 2015 new housemates: Simon Gross returns as stripper Marc O'Neill, model Harry Amelia Martin and X Factor reject Sam Kay join
Burning Man festival revellers accidentally torch prehistoric artefacts in Israel
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote