Books festival of the week: The Independent Bath Literature Festival, various venues
Friday 01 March 2013
The Bath festival, sponsored by The Independent, continues today, with more than 150 talks, debates and readings still to come over the next nine days.
The main sections include explorations of the state of Europe immediately before the First World War, and examinations of injustice in its many guises.
Among the highlights are novelists Hilary Mantel, JK Rowling, PD James, Rachel Joyce, Pat Barker and Elif Shafak, while on the non-fiction roster are Harriet Walter, Darcey Bussell, Clive Stafford Smith, Jane Dunn, Paula Byrne, Polly Toynbee, Owen Jones, John Gray and Christopher Clark.
(01225 463362; bathlitfest.org.uk) to 10 March
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassingly brilliant leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations